Snoring is the act of producing loud noise while you are asleep. The sound is usually as a result of vibration of the soft tissues located at upper airway. Such soft tissues include uvula and soft palate. Snoring happens when the airways or paths become narrow, obstructing the air flow during the breathing process. When this happens, the tissues may either vibrate softly or loudly resulting in snoring. In order to successfully learn how to stop snoring, you need to understand what the causes are.
Causes of Snoring
Accumulated fat around the throat region. It is important for patients to understand that it is a result of fat accumulation. They have to lose weight in order to eliminate the problematic fat deposits.
Obstruction in the nasal passageway.
Sleep apnea. It is a condition where one does not breathe for a minimum of ten seconds.
Bad sleeping posture. Some people tend to sleep on their backs. When they do so, the tongue drops at the back of the mouth which caused snoring.
Use of drugs and alcohol. The effect of alcohol and drugs on some peoples’ body may lead to relaxation of throat muscles. Once that happens, the person under the influence may start to snore.
Tips on How to Stop Snoring
The following are helpful tips to inform you how to stop snoring and instead enjoy sleep-filled nights.
1. Seek medical intervention – Some people snore because of health sleep disorders. When you visit a hospital, a doctor is able to examine the condition and treat it accordingly.
2. Change sleep position – As discussed above, some cases of snoring can be corrected through changing sleeping positions. Since lying on your back causes snoring, you can stop it by lying on your side.
3. Lose weight – You can stop snoring by losing some weight. Consume low-fat foods and perform specific exercises to discourage accumulating fat around the neck region. The lost fat changes the region’s anatomy and clears the airway hence stopping the snoring. There are targeted snoring exercises which assist in keeping your pathway open. These exercises also exercise your mouth muscles to keep them firmly in place at night or whenever you are asleep.
4. Stop alcohol and drug consumption – Suppressants such as alcohol, drugs and tobacco may cause your tongue to relax and weaken. If you are snoring as a result of that effect, stopping taking these substances will help you to stop snoring.
5. Snoring pillow – It is among the popular products known for improving the breathing process throughout the night. It elevates the head to promote airflow.
6. CPAP Machine – It’s use ensures that you get enough air at night so that you don’t end up struggling for air during your sleep and end up snoring.
7. Changing diet or some lifestyle aspects – Some cases of snoring are as a result of allergies to environmental factors or certain foods. Once you are able to associate your problem with certain allergies, stop doing whatever causes the symptoms.
8. Natural supplements – Consumption of some herbal supplements helps to relax the affected muscles hence stop snoring. Please note that, the supplements may work in different ways but for the purpose of reducing snoring.
Benefits Associated with Minimized Snoring
The first benefit is associated with high quality sleep. The noise produced during snoring disrupts sleep. Once the snoring problem stopped, everyone gets to enjoy quiet and peaceful sleep.
The second benefit is that the victim stops putting up with negative emotions. Snoring may cause the victim to feel embarrassed. It is the reason as to why many people want to know how to stop snoring. For instance, when a beautiful woman sleeps at a friend’s place, she is bound to face embarrassment in the morning when her friend tells her how hard she snored. Snoring happens to anyone regardless of their appearance and so people should seek help and use the above mentioned ways to stop snoring. You should know that it’s a natural occurrence and so you did not bring it upon yourself. Go ahead and use products and services that will help you to do away with snoring permanently.
Another benefit associated with reduced snoring has to do with feelings of the people you live with. Snoring is a bothersome behavior and stopping it makes your loved ones feel comfortable and at ease at night.
You now know how to stop snoring so enjoy the benefits of sleeping quietly. Some of the remedies are short-term so you should try them out to see if it cures the problem. If it does not help, you should seek permanent ways to cure it.